Researchers from the CUNY Graduate School of Public Health and Health Policy (CUNY SPH) and Emerson College are collaborating on an ongoing COVID-19 Tracking Survey to assess how New Yorkers are responding to the pandemic.
The survey monitors:
- Risk perception of contracting COVID-19 and compliance with social distancing recommendations
- Outcomes related to job loss, housing, and food insecurity
- Mental health responses, including concerns about family and loved ones
- Outcomes related to potential interruptions in education
- Current sources of COVID-19 related health information and trust in information sources and institutions
The COVID-19 Tracking Survey is designed by CUNY SPH in collaboration with the Journal of Health Communication, a peer-reviewed publication edited by CUNY SPH Distinguished Lecturer Scott Ratzan, MD. Professor Spencer Kimball of Emerson Polling is providing technical consultation and conducting this survey with a representative sample of over 1000 New York adults via phone and online. The survey is being conducted weekly for the first eight week period, and then biweekly for the second eight week period. CUNY SPH will report on the survey’s findings in the Journal of Health Communication and at sph.cuny.edu/news the Tuesday after each poll is conducted. Please use the menu on the left for detailed information about each week’s findings.
Data emerging from the survey will offer regular snapshots of the pandemic’s impact on the lives of New Yorkers, and is intended to provide policymakers, health professionals, business and community leaders, and the public with a gauge on the adoption of preventive behaviors, and which communication strategies can help individuals and communities prevent the spread of COVID-19.
- On Mondays, an embargoed Eureakalert will release the topline findings. In parallel, the same notices will be sent to city, state, and federal agencies.
- Survey results are published the following Tuesday.
- Q&A sessions via video conference can be scheduled as needed to discuss results and methods
CUNY Advisory Team:
Ayman El-Mohandes, MPH, MD, MSc, MBBCh
Bruce Y. Lee, MBA, MD
Denis Nash, PhD, MPH
Chris Palmedo, PhD, MBA, MA
Ashish Joshi, PhD, MPH, MBBS
Nick Freudenberg, DrPH, MPH
Vicky Ngo, PhD, MS
Survey Development and Review Team:
Scott C. Ratzan, MD, MPA, CUNY Graduate School of Public Health and Health Policy
Spencer Kimball, MA, MS, JD, Emerson College
Lauren Rauh, CUNY Graduate School of Public Health and Health Policy
Silvia Sommariva, MSc, MPA, University of South Florida
Ruth M. Parker, MD, Emory University
Claire Wardle, PhD, Craig Newmark Graduate School of Journalism at CUNY
Kenneth Rabin, PhD, Journal of Health Communication: International Perspective