CUNY SPH is committed to helping students who are facing financial hardship. Thanks to the generosity of CUNY SPH Foundation Board members and private donors, the Student Emergency Fund is a lifeline to students during difficult times.
The CUNY SPH Student Emergency Fund* provides quick-response grants to CUNY SPH students who are in need. Through these grants, CUNY SPH seeks to ensure that students stay in school and complete their education rather than take a leave of absence or withdraw from classes.
Examples of eligible emergencies include:
- Overdue utilities bills and shut-off notices
- Rent in arrears, at risk for eviction
- Housing assistance for homelessness
- Medical and dental bills for uninsured non-elective procedures
- Destruction of living quarters, due to fire or other natural disaster
- Theft of computer, books, clothing, or other essential belongings
- Assistance in paying for food, transportation, and basic necessities due to recent financial difficulty
- Emergency child care for legal dependents
- Travel home for illness or death in the immediate family
Grants will not be given for:
- Current or past CUNY SPH tuition charges
- Legal representation
- Personal debts
- Student loan repayment
If you are a current CUNY SPH student facing short-term financial hardship, we encourage you to submit an application to the Student Emergency Fund. For any inquiries about the fund, please email EmergencyFund@sph.cuny.edu.
The Emergency Fund application can be accessed here. Please note that applicants will be asked to submit supporting documentation to demonstrate financial need.