The Office of Academic Advising delivers advising services to all CUNY SPH students. The Office’s mission is to engage, empower, and serve students by providing the information, tools, and services necessary to achieve academic success.
Academic Advising Structure
- Staff advisors work with students across all degree programs and provide detailed information about CUNY SPH policies and procedures. Staff advisors meet with students to review their degree requirements and chart a path to graduation.
- We recommend students schedule an appointment with a staff advisor early into the program to map out an appropriate plan of study.
- Based on degree requirements, faculty advisors assist with elective, fieldwork, capstone, and dissertation planning. Faculty advisors have in-depth knowledge and experience in the field of public health and provide guidance on long-term academic and career objectives.
- During the first two weeks of the program, MPH, MS, and PhD students will be assigned their faculty advisor from the student’s department.
- Doctoral students have access to their doctoral director, who assists with general advising, as well as guidance on PhD-specific exams and milestones.