On-Campus Employment (OCE)
OCE is work that takes place either at CUNY SPH or at any other CUNY location. The work can be for an on-campus commercial business (such as a bookstore or cafeteria) as long as the work directly provides services for students.
- Students must be enrolled full-time and maintaining F-1 Status.
- Students may not work more than 20 hours/week when school is in session. They may work more hours during school breaks.
Before accepting any employment offer and beginning work, international students must make an appointment with their DSO and bring to the scheduled meeting:
- Original employment offer letter
- Previous Employment Verification (if any)
- W-9 Form complete, dated, and signed (if students already have a SSN). This document cannot be submitted electronically since it contains sensitive identification information. If this is their first job in the U.S. and students do not have a SSN yet, the DSO will prepare a letter to be taken to the SSA for them to attain one.
Upon receiving all documentation, the DSO will sign a new Employment Verification for that term.
Application Period & Deadline
OCE applications may be submitted any time, but its authorization will be given only until the end of current term.
- Newly arrived students who entered the U.S. in Initial SEVIS status to begin a new program can begin on-campus employment no more than 30 days prior to the actual start of classes.
- Employment Verification must be signed every semester in which students intend to engage in OCE.
- Students must notify their DSO of changes in employment, including in work hours, immediately by submitting a revised offer letter to ISO.
- Working more hours than authorized or beyond the dates authorized is a violation of Status. In such cases, the DSO must terminate the students’ SEVIS record. This will render students ineligible to continue their studies, and make them in unlawful presence in the U.S. Students will be required to leave the U.S. immediately.