Welcome to CUNY SPH!
CUNYFirst accounts are active once an employee submits all new hire paperwork, and the employee is hired into CUNYFirst. Once received, CUNYFirst accounts take 2-3 days to be established.
The hiring notification initiates the on-boarding process and notifies:
- IT Department: for an email address and access to systems
- Campus Facilities: for spacing needs
- Public Safety: for issuance of a CUNY SPH ID card to access campus
*IF a faculty member needs access prior to the semester start date, human resources can issue Person-Of-Interest (POI) status, until the faculty member’s effective start date.
Next, instructions are emailed to the employee/faculty member telling them how to claim the CUNYFirst.
To Claim your CUNYFirst account, please follow the steps below:
*Note: Mozilla Firefox is the recommended browser for accessing CUNYfirst and Blackboard.)
Visit the CUNYfirst homepage.
- In the blue bar beneath the sign in box, click the “New User” link.
- On the Account Activation screen, enter your name, date of birth, last four digits of your Social Security number, account management email address (see note below) and security phrase, then click “OK.”
- NOTE: Make sure to change the “account management email address” to your personal email address, rather than your CUNY email so you can promptly receive activation & login details for your CUNY email.
- On the following screen, select five security questions and provide answers for each of them. Answers are case-sensitive.
- On the last screen, enter a password. It must be between eight and 13 characters and must contain at least one number and one capital letter.
- After choosing a password, a confirmation page will appear, displaying your username and Employee ID (EMPLID). Print this screen for your records. Usernames are required to log in to CUNYfirst and the EMPLID is required for Blackboard assistance.
Once you have claimed your CUNYFirst account and have successfully logged in, it usually takes about 24-48 hours for the system to create your Blackboard Learning Management System (LMS) account and for you to be granted access to the courses you will be teaching. Find out more about logging into Blackboard and other instructions for getting your course set up, on the Office of Online Learning website.
We also have helpful resources for new faculty, including a new faculty orientation video, answers to FAQs, and live webinars to support you in your teaching. If you have any questions or need assistance with your course in Blackboard, please reach out to Laura.Ferrigon@sph.cuny.edu
If there are any issues with your onboarding process or accounts, the employee can reach out to Human Resources by emailing Arthur.McHughJr@sph.cuny.edu or the SPH HelpDesk HelpDesk@sph.cuny.edu for technical support, including hardware and software needs.