Summer 2018: May 1, 2018
Fall 2018: June 1, 2018.
What is the non-degree program?
CUNY SPH recognizes that some students may wish to be admitted to the school for the purpose of taking courses not necessarily leading to an advanced degree. Admission to CUNY SPH may be granted, subject to the provisions listed on this page.
Who should apply to the non-degree program?
The non-degree program is suitable for individuals who do not have a long-term interest in CUNY SPH. For example, if you are enrolled in another program and need one class that your program does not offer, then non-degree admissions is appropriate.
If you are exploring the field of public health or considering the possibility of attending CUNY SPH in the future, we would suggest that you apply to the advanced certificate program instead.
Prospective DPH Environmental and Occupational Health, Epidemiology, and Health Policy and Management students who need MPH core courses for admission must first apply through SOPHAS before they are granted permission to take MPH courses. Prospective DPH Community, Society, and Health students are encouraged to contact the Office of Admissions (email@example.com) to have their Master’s transcript evaluated.
How do I apply to the non-degree program?
We are not yet accepting applications for Summer 2018 or Fall 2018. Please check back at a later time.
After being admitted as a non-degree student, how long can I remain in the non-degree program?
Please note that your application is for one semester only. You must fill out this application again if you wish to take courses during another semester. There is no deferment of your admission to the following semester.
What classes am I permitted to take in the non-degree program?
Non-degree students can apply for and are allowed to take ONLY the following courses:
|BIOS 610: Fundamentals of Biostatistics|
|EPID 610: Fundamentals of Epidemiology
CHSS 610: Fundamentals of Social & Behavioral Health
EOHS 610: Fundamentals of Environmental Health
Not offered in the Summer
|EPID 620: Epidemiological Methods I|
|EPID 623: Clinical Trials and Experimental Design|
|EOHS 620: Introduction to Occupational Safety and Health|
|EOHS 622: Environment and Occupational Toxicology (requires EOHS 610: Fundamentals of Environmental Health as a pre-requisite)|
|CHSS 695: Topics in Community Health Education|
|PUBH 651: Sexual Health Promotion|
|PUBH 642: Social Marketing|
|PUBH 650: Qualitative Research Methods (with instructor permission)|
What else should I know about the non-degree program?
- Please be advised that we will begin to review non-degree applications approximately one month before the start of the semester.
- Admission is not guaranteed and registration approval is based on space availability.
- Non-degree students are required to receive credit in all graduate courses taken and must maintain a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or better. Non-degree students whose cumulative GPA falls below 3.0 will not be approved for further study.
- A maximum of 12 semester hours may be taken. Students interested in enrolling in more than 12 credits must apply for admission into a degree program.
- International applicants requiring or holding F-1 visa status are not eligible for non-degree admission.
- Federal financial aid is not available for non-degree students.
- Non-degree students have no assurance that work completed under this status will be applicable toward degree requirements should the student subsequently apply for and be admitted to a degree program at CUNY. Admission to a degree program will be based on all criteria required at the time of application, plus performance in relevant courses under non-degree status. Completion of graduate courses by non-degree students does not obligate CUNY SPH to grant admission to a degree program at a later date.