MPH/MS Students

MPH/MS Students

MPH/MS students are required to demonstrate the application of public health competencies through a fieldwork experience that is relevant to the students’ area of specialization.

Each MPH or MS-EOHS student must complete a supervised fieldwork experience (minimum 180 hours) while enrolled in the fieldwork course (PUBH 696).

Frequently Asked Questions

What are the prerequisites for fieldwork?
Students must have completed at least 18 credits toward their degrees, including biostatistics, epidemiology, and two courses in their area of concentration, prior to completing their fieldwork.

What types of projects are appropriate for fieldwork?
Projects may involve program planning, implementation or operation, applied public health research, community health education and outreach, health advocacy, or other appropriate public health-related work. Projects should have clear goals, activities, and associated deliverables.  Note: All Maternal, Child, Reproductive and Sexual Health students must complete their fieldwork in this area of specialization.

I am ready to do my fieldwork. What do I need to do before I can register for class?
Each semester OEL circulates a pre-registration form to all students via CUNY SPH student email accounts.  Students must check their email accounts for announcements regarding pre-registration and required orientation dates. Note: Students must pre-register and attend an orientation seminar the semester BEFORE they plan on doing their fieldwork.

How do I find a fieldwork site?

OEL maintains a database of fieldwork sites that have been approved. Students must then contact the sites of interest to explore potential projects relevant to their concentrations and career goals.

If a student has identified a site of interest that is not included on the OEL approved sites, contact the Office with the following information: the web link, contact person, and any relevant details for OEL to follow up and determine if the organization is a suitable fieldwork site. This information is to be sent to for review.

How does my fieldwork experience relate to the Capstone project requirement?
The fieldwork should provide the basis for the Capstone paper.  There are two options for the type of Capstone papers students can do: a research paper or a practice paper. For more details, please see the Capstone handbook.

I work full-time. How do I fit this into my already busy schedule?
Some students modify their work schedules or use vacation time to complete their hours. Students should discuss scheduling needs with potential preceptors to see if they can be accommodated.  In some instances, students who are employed in an appropriate public health setting, may request approval to do their fieldwork at their place of employment.  In such cases, fieldwork projects must be outside of students’ current scope of work and responsibilities.

Important Dates

For Students Enrolling in Spring 2019 Fieldwork
Monday, September 24th, 2018, 8pm-9pm, Room 822 Fieldwork Orientation Session
Wednesday, September 26th, 2018, 8pm-9pm, Room 822 Fieldwork Orientation Session
Thursday, October 4th, 2018, 5pm-6pm, Room 539 Fieldwork Orientation Session
Wednesday, January 9th, 2019 Deadline to Submit Learning Agreement and Proof of HSR Submission
For Students Enrolling in Summer 2019 Fieldwork
Monday, February 11th, 2019, 8:00-9:00PM, Room 822 Fieldwork Orientation Session
Wednesday, February 13th, 2019, 8:00-9:00pm, Room 822 Fieldwork Orientation Session
Thursday, February 21st, 2019, 5:00-6:00pm, Room 822 Fieldwork Orientation Session
Wednesday, May 1st, 2019 Deadline to Submit Learning Agreement and Proof of HSR Submission