Effective March 19 and until further notice, CUNY SPH essential personnel will be on campus on Thursdays from 8am – 6pm, and operating remotely on other weekdays. If you need to pick up or drop off equipment or materials on Thurdays, please email Public.Safety@sph.cuny.edu to schedule a specific date and time, and make sure your appointment is confirmed before coming to campus.
As we move to a distance learning mode through the end of the Spring semester, we strive to safeguard the academic term from the standpoint of our student’s academic progress and their financial aid as we work to address the challenges posed by COVID-19. Below are some resources compiled for faculty as they navigate distance teaching.
The most important thing is for faculty to confer with their students to get a sense of what the most effective and EQUITABLE way to move forward with distance learning should be, considering both faculty and student readiness, accessibility to devices and reliable internet access, and phone capabilities.
CUNY has asked faculty and staff to be prepared to accommodate affected students to the greatest reasonable extent. This includes, among other things:
- facilitating enrollment after the deadline
- fast-tracking academic advising
- permitting make-up exams
- extending due dates of final assignments and projects
Please see the Information Technology Resources page for information on how to contact the Helpdesk, obtaining hardware and software for distance teaching, communication and cloud storage services, Blackboard and Zoom resources, etc.
Acknowledging that many of our students may feel uneasy about a move to distance learning and how that could affect their academic performance, the University has authorized the University Registrar to make the following changes to CUNY’s academic calendar, effective immediately.
- Last Day to File for Pass/No Credit/Fail Option – For eligible students that meet the requirements of our “Pass/Fail/No Credit Option” policy, (https://www.cuny.edu/wp-content/uploads/sites/4/page-assets/about/administration/offices/registrar/resources/CUNY-Uniform-Grade-Glossary-and-Guidelines-08012018-1.pdf – Page 5), the University will move the deadline to Thursday, May 14, 2020 (KCC/LAG/GCC – Session 1: June 04, 2020; Session 2: August 01, 2020). This is the published “Last Day of Classes,” and before final examination week, and also prior to the “End of the Spring Term”. See note below on possible financial aid impact on students.
- Course Withdrawal Period – Last Day to Drop with a Grade of “W.” The current deadline date listed on the calendar is Wednesday, April 1, 2020. We will move that date to Thursday, May 14, 2020 (for KCC/LAG/GCC – Spring Session 1: June 04, 2020; Spring Session 2: August 01, 2020). This is the published “Last Day of Classes,” and before final examination week and also prior to the “End of the Spring Term”.
- Incomplete Grades – Students who receive an INC grades in the Spring 2020 term would generally be required to submit outstanding work, “according to a deadline established by individual colleges of the University but no later than the last day of the following semester.” (https://www.cuny.edu/wp-content/uploads/sites/4/page-assets/about/administration/offices/registrar/resources/CUNY-Uniform-Grade-Glossary-and-Guidelines-08012018-1.pdf – Page 4). The University will allow students to submit incomplete work to faculty for resolution of INC grades for courses taken in Spring 2020 through the Fall 2020 semester, and the new deadline for faculty to submit Incomplete to Grade forms to the Registrar’s Office for resolution will be Wednesday, December 23, 2020 (for KCC/LAG/GCC – March 01, 2021). This date coincides with the “Final Grade Submission Deadline” for Fall 2020 courses.
Other resources for faculty
Counseling services for tax-levy employees
For faculty and staff experiencing heightened anxiety, CUNY’s Employee Assistance Plan (EAP) is available to help. CUNY’s EAP may be reached at 1-866-327-2400 or https://members.deeroakseap.com/.
Counseling services for Research Foundation employees
For help with feelings of stress or anxiety about these events, contact RFCUNY’s Employee Assistance Program (EAP) at: https://members.healthadvocate.com/Account/OrganizationSearch
Wellness Resources for everyone
Please refer to this page for additional wellness resources.
If you need to make purchases related to COVID-19 response, these should be made through CUNYfirst on tax levy funds. CUNY has requested that COVID-19 expenses be tracked separately, for potential reimbursement.
Facilities staff is continuing to disinfect commonly touched surfaces such as door handles, tables, desks, and light switches in conference rooms, pantries, and classrooms and public areas twice daily. Over the next week they will also disinfect uncluttered surfaces in offices and workstations.
Facilities is providing hand sanitizer for individual use upon request–although it should be noted that hand-washing has been documented to be more effective than hand-sanitizer See: https://www.cdc.gov/handwashing/show-me-the-science-hand-sanitizer.html