Associate Professor Elizabeth Kelvin appointed chair of Epidemiology and Biostatistics department

Sep. 10, 2020
Elizabeth Kelvin horizontal crop
Associate Professor Elizabeth Kelvin

CUNY SPH is delighted to announce that Associate Professor Elizabeth Kelvin will be assuming a new role as chair of the department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics.

Dr. Kelvin’s research focuses on the epidemiology of infectious diseases, with particular interest in international populations, including mobile groups who face increased risk due to their changing environmental exposures and limited access to healthcare. She brings over 20 years of experience working on federal and foundation funded research studies in the US, South America, Africa and Asia.  Dr. Kelvin’s research has consistently helped to inform current policy and treatment recommendations. For example, results from a 2001-2005 clinical trial in Ecuador she directed helped to establish the efficacy of albendazole as treatment for neurocysticercosis and her research on HIV self-testing in Kenya was evidence used by the National AIDS & STI Control Programme, Kenya Ministry of Health, in their decision to make HIV self-testing available in the country.

“I am very excited about my new role in the Department, especially given the current COVID-19 pandemic which has brought a new focus on the importance of our field.  I know that the members of our department have a lot of important work to do and I am excited to facilitate that work.  I just hope that I can meet the high bar already established for the department by my predecessor, Dr. Borrell.”   

Kelvin is taking over for Distinguished Professor Luisa N. Borrell, who served as chair of the department for a three-year term.

“I welcome Elizabeth Kelvin as our Department Chair!” Borrell says. “I am excited to work with Elizabeth as I believe the Department is in excellent hands. I look forward to working with her in the coming years.”

scrollToTop