Congratulations, Dr. Catherine Machalaba!

May 11, 2020 | Press Releases & Announcements

Catherine Machalaba

Dr. Catherine Machalaba

On March 27, Catherine Machalaba, a PhD student in the Environmental and Planetary Health Sciences track, successfully defended her dissertation, “Impacts of Rift Valley Fever Virus: A One Health Approach to Assess Burden and Inform Prevention and Control Options.” Her dissertation committee was chaired by Dr. Jean Grassman, with Drs. Glen Johnson, Alexis Pozen, William Karesh, and Timothy Bouley serving as committee members.

“The quality of the program and the value that I have derived from it via my personal and professional growth have continually exceeded my greatest expectations,” Machalaba says. “Throughout the program, I benefitted from the school’s strong commitment to excellence and collaborative spirit—whether it was developing an American Public Health Association policy statement on One Health, presenting at conferences, applying for research funding, or attending tutoring to strengthen my analytical skills, everyone at the school goes above and beyond to support you as a student, researcher and an individual. I am extremely proud to be part of an institution that believes strongly in making public health education accessible and has a reach that extends from impactful projects right here on 125th Street and our city agencies all the way to Vietnam and elsewhere in the world.”

After graduation, Dr. Machalaba will continue her work as policy advisor and research scientist at the non-profit conservation and global health organization EcoHealth Alliance, and hopes to stay involved in the CUNY SPH community.