Late Payments and Unresolved Balances
Late Payment Fee and Penalties
Students are required to make payment in accordance with the scheduled payment deadline. Until all balances are settled in full, Bursar holds will be placed on the student’s account in accordance with University policy.
Past Due Accounts
Balances that remain unpaid through the late add period are considered “past due”
- A negative Bursar service indicator (BUR) will be placed on your account. This will prevent students from registering for a future term, acquiring a transcript and receiving their diploma or other college documentation.
- The account is also assessed a $15 late payment fee.
- If full payment is submitted after a hold has been placed on your account, it would take approximately 3 to 5 business days for the hold to be lifted until funds have cleared.
Balances that remain unpaid after the last day of the term are considered to be in pre-collections. A BIH hold (In-house Collections) will be placed on your account.
Collection deadlines are set approximately six months from the end of the term. Any remaining balance in pre-collections is at risk of being transferred to a collections agency by the collections deadline.
If bills remain unpaid for more than one term, the College reserves the right to forward a student’s account to a Collection Agency. Once an account is referred to a Collection Agency, the student will be responsible for all collection costs plus what is owed to the College. In addition, non-payment or a default judgment against a student’s account may be reported to a credit bureau and subsequently reflected on a student’s credit reports.
Balances that are transferred to a collections agency can no longer be paid to CUNY School of Public Health and must be paid in full with the collections agency to have the collections hold removed.
Please review the “My Holds” section on the Student Center page of your CUNYfirst account to determine the appropriate collection agency to contact.
- BIC: Your balance has been transferred to Immediate Credit Recovery (ICR). Contact 800.234.4271 for payment details.
- BAZ: Your balance has been transferred to Account Control Technologies (ACT). Contact 888.830.7770 for payment details.
Be aware that payments submitted to ICR or ACT may take 3 to 5 business days to be successfully processed. Any collections-related holds can only be lifted once the full payment has been successfully processed and confirmed.