Frequently Asked Questions for Current Students

General Information

Yes. Courses may be audited with instructor’s permission and based on availability. Students must formally register to audit courses in the same manner as any other course after receiving permission. The grade notation ‘AUD,’ which carries no earned credit, cannot be changed to any other credit-bearing grade. Audited courses will be included in the calculation of total credits to determine full- or part-time status. Audited courses cannot be used towards financial aid eligibility and therefore will not count towards financial aid load. Auditing is only available for currently active students. You can request to audit a class by filling out the Course Audit Request form.

HPAM – Betsy Eastwood

EOHS – Mary Schooling

CHSS – Diana Romero (Department Chair), Sandra Echeverria (Deputy Department Chair)

EPI/BIO – Luisa Borrell

To have an event added to the Student Events Calendar, contact Tamar Pacht. To inquire about having an event promoted via other CUNY SPH channels, please contact Sumana Chandra. Also, consider sharing your event via the CUNY SPH Student Discussion Group.

Check the Student Events Calendar, which features events around NYC, including those hosted by CUNY SPH.

You can also follow CUNY SPH on Facebook and Twitter, for information on upcoming events.

There is no fee for sending a transcript from another CUNY school to CUNY SPH. Please note that new applicants must send transcripts directly to SOPHAS, which will incur a fee.

If the class is a graduate-level class that is relevant and you get approval from your department head and the registrar, you may be allowed to take the class.


Supervised fieldwork is an opportunity for MPH students to apply the knowledge and skills they are gaining through MPH coursework into practice. Students must complete 180 hours in a fieldwork placement, working on an approved project at a host organization. Supervised fieldwork counts for 3 credits conferred by CUNY SPH towards the MPH degree.

Students complete their fieldwork at a wide variety of organizations (examples below). Wherever fieldwork is completed, the position must involve public health issues and require public health skills associated with the student’s area of study.

World Health Organization (WHO)
NYC Department of Health and Mental Hygiene (DOHMH)
Montefiore Medical Center
Latino Commission on AIDS
ICS Software, Ltd.
Office of Manhattan Borough President
Injection Drug Users Health Alliance
Centers for Disease Control (CDC)
NYC Department of Environmental Protection
Reproductive Health Access Project
Edible Schoolyard NYC
Harlem United
The Hunger Project
Bronx Health REACH
Women’s City Club of New York
Rabin Martin
The New York Academy of Medicine

Community health center – Mental health needs assessment

Hospital – Staff training to improve HIV testing in public schools

City park office – Sustainable practices and worker safety study

Medical school – Gut microbiome and meat consumption research

Foster care agency – Managing peer-based sexual health program

Food nonprofit – Nutrition education and outreach programming

Students can apply to fieldwork opportunities posted by the school, or work with a host organization to design a project that meets the fieldwork requirements. The Fieldwork Office is available for consultation in the search process – we can help you find a placement that suits your interests, and help you to shape an opportunity to meet expectations for fieldwork.

To qualify for fieldwork, students must have completed at least 18 credit hours by the beginning of the semester when they will enroll in Fieldwork, and must attend an orientation session before registering for the course.

To be approved for fieldwork, students must submit a finalized contract to the Fieldwork Office describing their fieldwork placement.

Before beginning any fieldwork research activities, students must submit their current CITI certificate and the Human Subjects Research form, both required assignments early in the Fieldwork course.

During the placement, students attend one mid-semester meeting and submit four assignments: two progress reports, a Student Evaluation of Fieldwork Experience, and a Reflection on Fieldwork.

At the end of the placement, the fieldwork preceptor submits an evaluation of the student’s performance.

Yes, you may get paid for fieldwork. However, your activities in the placement must be separate and distinct from your current employment. Please consult the Fieldwork Office for guidance.

In rare circumstances, a student may be given permission to complete fieldwork at their current place of work. In this instance, all fieldwork placement activities must be separate and distinct from the current paid position, the fieldwork preceptor must be different from the current work supervisor, and the fieldwork hours must be completed outside of the current paid work hours.

Students are expected to complete fieldwork during the semester in which they enroll in the course. In some instances, students may be able to adjust start and end dates for the placement. This must be arranged in advance through the Fieldwork Office.

You may contact the SPH Fieldwork Office at and refer to the Fieldwork Handbook at