Office of Sponsored Programs and Research (SPaR)
Help us, help you!
The Office of Sponsored Programs and Research (SPaR) supports and advises the entire CUNY Graduate School of Public Health and Health Policy community in securing external support for sponsored projects and collaborations.
The office helps identify appropriate funding opportunities, develop project ideas, organize, edit and prepare grant applications. If time allows, we can arrange for internal review and feedback on applications prior to submission.
In 2014, leadership of the Office of Sponsored Programs and Research was taken over by Dr. Michele Kiely, Associate Dean for Research and Professor of Epidemiology. She is ably assisted by Ms. Amanda Allen and Ms. Erika Reuter.
We hope to develop a library of sample grants and grant components.
Targeted Funding Searches
All CUNY SPH entities have access to Pivot.
We strongly encourage researchers to use Pivot to create their own profiles. (Make sure to “claim” your profile.) Pivot cos will help you discover the right funding opportunities for you. As you use it, your Pivot cos profile becomes more finely tuned and allows you to receive automatic updates whenever there are new matching opportunities.
Please contact us if you need help accessing Pivot or using its services.
One-on-One Grant Planning and Preparation Services
Investigators are invited to contact the SPaR office to schedule a one-on-one meeting for assistance with any aspect of their grant preparation, including help with finding funding or developing a timetable for proposal preparation and submission.
For more information about the SPaR office and the services we provide, or to schedule an appointment, please contact us using our team email address, SpaR@sph.cuny.edu, or:
Michele Kiely, Associate Dean for Research
Amanda Allen, Research Programs Manager
Erika Reuter, Research Programs Manager
Kim McFarlane, RF HR Liaison and Dr. Kiely’s Administrative Aide
- Enhancing Peer Review at NIH
- Foundation Center Blog
- Official Federal Blog for Grants.gov
- Medical Writing, Editing, and Grantsmanship Blog. Includes insider insight into funding opportunities and the grantsmanship process.
- NIH Standing Study Sections
Other Helpful Links
- Association of Schools and Programs in Public Health. This site offers a wealth of information, including grant opportunities.
- SF424 (R&R) Application and Electronic Submission Information. Access instruction guides for preparing electronic grant applications using the SF424 (R&R) application forms.
- The Research Foundation of CUNY’s Office of Award Pre-Proposal Support (APPS) was founded to support the CUNY Colleges in obtaining research support, including through a pilot Proposal Pre-Submission Peer Review Program.
- The City University of New York Office of Research supports and promotes research at CUNY.