About the Fall 2019 Revised Curriculum
Why is the curriculum changing at CUNY SPH?
We have redesigned our certificate and master’s programs to ensure students receive the practice and research skills necessary to excel in the 21st-century public health workforce. Our new curricula responds to calls for change in public health training and ensures compliance with our accrediting body, the Council on Education for Public Health (CEPH). The new and revised offerings utilize an interdisciplinary approach to teaching public health competencies.
When will the new curriculum begin?
The new curriculum begins in fall 2019 for new MPH, MS, and Advanced Certificate students.
Students beginning their studies at CUNY SPH prior to fall 2019 will follow the curriculum based on the semester and year they entered the program. See our Program of Study Worksheets for your specific degree requirements:
I have taken new core coursework during fall 2018 and/or spring 2019 (ie: PUBH 610, PUBH 611, PUBH 612, PUBH 613, and/or PUBH 614). How will these courses be applied to my degree?
- PUBH 610 (Public Health Leadership and Management) in place of HPAM 610 (Fundamentals of Health Policy and Management)
- PUBH 611 (Health Equity, Communications, and Advocacy) as an elective
- PUBH 612 (Designing and Evaluating Public Health Interventions) as an elective
- PUBH 613 (Designs, Concepts, and Methods in Public Health Research) in place of EPID 610 (Fundamentals of Epidemiology) or EPID 611 (Principles of Epidemiology)
- PUBH 614 (Quantitative and Qualitative Data Analysis Methods in Public Health Research) in place of BIOS 610 (Fundamentals of Biostatistics) or BIOS 611 (Principles of Biostatistics)
Where can I learn more about the revised curriculum?
The fall 2019 curriculum pages can be found at the links below:
- MPH in Community Health
- MPH in Environmental & Occupational Health
- MPH in Epidemiology & Biostatistics
- MPH in Health Policy & Management
- MPH in Public Health Nutrition
- MS in Environmental & Occupational Health
- Advanced Certificate in Public Health
- Advanced Certificate in Industrial Hygiene
If you have additional questions, please reach out to Advising@sph.cuny.edu.