Public health is the science and practice of disease prevention and evidence-based approaches to ensure the well-being of populations. Public health addresses health at the population level rather than the individual level. Public health is an interdisciplinary field that examines health challenges from multiple perspectives, including societal, social, political, and economic.
- The certificate will provide students with a core set of skills for all public health professionals.
- The certificate will serve as a potential pipeline for students entering an MPH program.
- The certificate will help address labor demand in the public health workforce.
- The certificate will train students to think critically about the health challenges of populations and gain deeper understanding of multiple factors that lead to these challenges.
- The certificate will enable students to approach public health problems using an array of evidence-based approaches, tools, and methods.
The Advanced Certificate in Public Health consists of the 5 public health core courses: Biostatistics; Epidemiology; Social and Behavioral Health; Environmental Health; and Health Policy and Management. Each course is 3 credits. The certificate program is 15 credits.
Most students should be able to complete the certificate program in one year. All courses are available online in the Fall and Spring semesters.
Completion of this certificate program will prepare students for the Certified in Public Health (CPH) exam, which is the only professional certification in public health. Learn more here: https://www.nbphe.org
The credits earned in the certificate program may be applied to the CUNY MPH program or transferred into academic programs at other institutions (subject to transfer policies). The maximum allowable transfer credits that can be transferred into the advanced certificate is 3 credits. These credits must be at the graduate level, from an accredited public health program, with a grade of B or better, and should not have been used toward another degree.
Please note that financial aid and student loans are not available for this certificate program. You may be eligible for payment plans with CUNY. For more information on payment plans, please review the SPH payment options page.
Spring 2018 semester – January 20, 2018
Fall 2018 Semester – July 1, 2018
- SOPHAS Express online application
- Application fee: $50
- Bachelor’s degree in any discipline (GPA of at least 3.0)
- Please upload any official or unofficial copies of your transcripts directly to the SOPHAS express application
- Resume or CV
- Personal statement/statement of purpose (500 words maximum)
- TOEFL scores are required if language of instruction for prior degrees was not English
- Transcript evaluation from WES or ECE for international transcripts
|Required Coursework||BIOS 610 Fundamentals of Biostatistics|
|EPID 610 Fundamentals of Epidemiology|
|EOHS 610 Fundamentals of Environmental Health|
|CHSS 610 Fundamentals of Social and Behavioral Health|
|HPAM 610 Fundamentals of Health Policy and Management|
|Elective Coursework||No Electives Required|
|Practice Experience||No Fieldwork Required|
|Culminating Experience||No Capstone Required|
|Total Credits Required||15|
Recommended Course Sequence
|Year 1 Fall||EOHS 610 Fundamentals of Environmental Health||3|
|CHSS 610 Fundamentals of Social and Behavioral Health||3|
|HPAM 610 Fundamentals of Health Policy and Management||3|
|Year 1 Spring||EPID 610 Fundamentals of Epidemiology||3|
|BIOS 610 Fundamentals of Biostatistics||3|