Budget Planning, Management, and Administration
The Office of Business Services and Finance collaborates with the Dean, Senior Leadership and Department Chairs in developing, managing, and administering the School’s annual operating budget so that it reflects on-going operational needs and strategic priorities. The Office conducts financial analyses and prepares financial reports to guide fiscal planning and decision-making. The Office also provides on-going training and guidance to faculty and staff on relevant fiscal policies, procedures, and practices. Each year, the School receives an annual budget allocation, CUNY Operating Budget Process.
Budget planning is based on the fiscal year (July 1 – June 30).
* Toward the end of each fiscal year (spring time), the Dean, Senior Associate Dean for Administration, and Executive Director of Business Services and Finance meet with each Department and Unit head and his/her administrator to discuss the preliminary tax levy and, if applicable, non-tax levy allocation for the coming year.
* Department Heads are responsible for developing a budget request (aka spending plan or line item budget) using the SPH Budget Request Template based on their current budget and anticipated needs and priorities and submitting it to the Executive Director of Business Services and Finance by the beginning of each Fiscal Year (July).
* The School’s Leadership Team is responsible for reviewing and approving Departmental spending plans.
* Department Heads are responsible for assuring that timely and accurate expenditures are in conformance with the spending plan and with all applicable University and State regulations and guidelines.
* Proposed expenditures that are more than 10% above the approved budget require the Department Head to submit a budget modification to the Executive Director of Business and Finance and approval by the Dean or the Senior Associate Dean for Administration.
* If an emergency or unanticipated need arises that is outside the scope of the approved budget the relevant Department Chair, unit head or supervisor is responsible notifying the Executive Director for Budget and Finance of the required goods or services, along with a justification, date required and approximate cost.
* The Office of Business Services and Finance meets quarterly with the Dean and each Department and Unit head to review planned and actual expenditures for the current fiscal year.