POSITION: Quality Improvement Data Analyst
ORGANIZATION: National Surgical Quality Improvement Program
POSTING DATE: February 16, 2016
SUMMARY: The NSQIP Quality Improvement Data Analyst is responsible for compiling, collecting, synthesizing, and submitting reliable clinical data to the American College of Surgeons (ACS) National Surgical Quality Improvement Program (NSQIP). This is accomplished through high-quality clinical screening, data compilation, documentation and entry into the ACS NSQIP database of all eligible/selected surgical procedures for the medical center. This position also works closely with the faculty members of selected surgical departments (both full time and voluntary) to identify opportunities for clinical quality improvement and other special projects that are be identified.
- Responsible for the identification of surgical patients for inclusion in the program registry through the application of strict inclusion/exclusion criteria and the program’s randomization protocol.
- Responsible for the reliable collection of pre-operative, operative, and post-operative data components for the program through the effective utilization of the hospital medical record system.
- Responsible for meeting the accrual requirement of cases per year through the correct application of the program’s randomization protocol.
- Attends weekly Morbidity & Mortality conferences to ensure reliable data collection of postoperative occurrences.
- Demonstrates applicability of the methodology and the reliability of definitions utilized by reviewers within the program through Inter-Rater Reliability (IRR) testing.
- Responsible for analyzing and identifying areas for streamlining and process improvement in the data collection process. Demonstrates appropriate utilization of resources necessary to obtain valid, reliable data for entry into the Program. *Website Interaction (www.acsnsqip.org)
- Responsible for utilizing software applications available at the site for data collection and analysis.
- Responsible for the accurate and timely entry of data into the program’s database and assuring the transmission of completed data.
- Participates in Performance Improvement initiatives.
- Collects data and generates basic and moderately complex data lists, spreadsheets, and reports as required, including internal reporting and statistical analysis as requested by management. Reports are submitted timely and accurately according to current standards and regulations.
- May perform data integrity tasks by locating and correcting data entry errors, or reporting them to supervisors. Makes corrections and additions to database records as required. Recommends solutions for any data management issues.
- Performs other *duties as required.
QUALIFICATIONS: Education: Bachelor of Arts required; Nursing Degree or Masters in Public Health (or other Healthcare Related concentration) required
Must participate in NSQIP training and pass the NSQIP Certification Exam
Intermediate Word, PowerPoint, Excel and Access
Minimum Related Experience:
* Clinical chart review and abstraction experience preferred.
* Database data entry and/or management experience preferred.
* Knowledge of physician practices preferred.
* Quality improvement or patient safety knowledge and experience preferred.
*Ability to interact with all members of the surgical team and administrative staff in a professional and courteous manner.
*Exceptional attention to detail and accuracy.
*Computer and internet skills and experience required-familiarity and comfort with MS Office products are essential for success in this position.
*Statistical knowledge preferred.
HOW TO APPLY: Please forward resume to Deptofsurgerypostings@mountsinai.org