POSITION: Program Coordinator – Creating Healthy Schools and Communities / Bronx Health REACH
ORGANIZATION: The Institute for Family Health
POSTING DATE: July 27, 2016
SUMMARY: The Program Coordinator will be responsible for coordinating day to day operations for school-based programmatic, policy and infrastructure changes related to the Creating Healthy Schools and Communities work plan objectives. The Coordinator will work closely with the Program Manager, HealthCorps Member, and Program Associate to reach out to school leaders and other major stakeholders, delivering evidence based strategies, professional development, and technical assistance related to creating environments that foster child health and wellness. The program will provide resources, guidance and technical assistance to targeted schools and school districts in the Bronx for the development and implementation of, and compliance with, policies that promote nutrition and physical activity for children in the Bronx. In addition, the Coordinator will work closely with the other Bronx Health REACH team staff on joint efforts.
- Coordinate CHSC program activities related to promoting healthy nutrition environments in school settings, establishing comprehensive school physical activity programs, and improving school district wellness policy language.
- Deliver trainings and professional development workshops related to school wellness and healthy communities program goals.
- Develop and maintain relationships with array of stakeholders including school leaders, parent groups, community organizations, New York City Department of Education’s Office of School Wellness and Office of School Food, the New York City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene Center for Health Equity and its local district public health offices, and other appropriate Bronx, NYC, NYS agencies and CHSC partners.
- Work closely with program staff and partners to motivate school administrators and leaders to develop and implement school wellness policies and practice interventions.
- Assist in development and dissemination of monthly health-related columns for school stakeholders
- Assist in preparation of reports for the CHSC grant through Grants Gateway
- Assist in writing grant proposals to support and expand the work and activities of Bronx Health REACH
- Master’s Degree in Nutrition, Public Health, Public Administration or related degree with three + years related experience
- May consider Bachelor’s Degree if 5 years of considerable experience in nutrition & physical activity/education initiative
- Strong background in the development and implementation of community based nutrition and physical activity programs geared towards wide-scale system and environmental changes for low income, ethnically and racially diverse populations.
- Experience providing professional development to key community stakeholders
- Experience working with public schools and affiliated groups and government agencies preferred
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, and organizational skills
- Proficiency with computers including but not limited to MS Word, Excel, Power Point, Database program, the Internet and some knowledge of web-based publishing
- Certified Health Education Specialist (CHES) preferred
- Bilingual (Spanish /English) preferred
The Institute for Family Health
The Institute for Family Health (IFH) is a non-profit organization committed to providing health services to medically underserved communities. It operates several health centers in the Bronx, lower Manhattan, and the Upper Hudson Valley and trains health care providers on an ongoing basis.
The Bronx Health REACH/New York Center of Excellence to Eliminate Disparity
IFH is the lead of a consortium of health care providers, community based organizations and other concerned agencies, constituted to plan and implement a project to address racial and ethnic disparities in health outcomes in diabetes and cardiovascular disease in New York. The project focus is on health promotion and education, working with community based organizations to make system wide changes to improve access to healthy food, physical activity and healthcare services. Creating Healthy Schools and Communities (CHSC) is a multi-sectorial effort to use evidence-based policy, systems and environmental PSE improvements to promote nutrition, healthy food access, opportunities for physical activity, and physical education for children in 4 high need school districts in South Bronx.
HOW TO APPLY: All interested should send their cover letter and resume to Ms. Kelly Moltzen, email@example.com.