Project/Organization: New York City DEPARTMENT OF ENVIRONMENTAL PROTECTION (DEP)
Positions: College Intern
Job Title: Job ID: 2015-1512
Program Start Date: 2/1/2016
Program End Date: 5/20/2016
The Bureau of Public Affairs is comprised of several units that manage the public information functions of the Agency in New York City and its Watersheds. The Office of Education provides comprehensive, free educational programs and materials for youth and adults throughout New York City and the Watersheds. Working under the supervision of the Deputy Director of Education, the Environmental Education Intern will research and create dynamic and engaging educational programs for a diverse audience, including students and teachers, about the New York City water supply and wastewater treatment systems and green infrastructure. The intern will maintain existing, and create new, partnerships with community and education organizations and will act as a resource for DEP employees and for New Yorkers interested in learning more about New York City’s water resources. Specific responsibilities include researching, developing, and implementing education programs; working with and supporting teachers and non-formal educators; collecting information and maintaining a database of educational outreach and activities; updating education news and information on the DEP website. The intern will also help coordinate programming at the Visitor Center at Newtown Creek; assist with the Trout in the Classroom Program; assess program impacts; suggest new opportunities and ideas to communicate DEP’s mission; help coordinate and prepare DEP’s Water Resources Art & Poetry contest; prepare written reports; and respond to telephone, email and written correspondence.
• Excellent public speaking and writing skills
• Teaching or educational programming experience with a diverse audience (including children and adults)
• Interest in environmental education
• Creativity and resourcefulness
• Excellent organizational skills
• Ability to effectively multi-task, balance several projects simultaneously, and work with minimal supervision
• Familiarity with computers
• Leadership skills
• Student must currently be enrolled at a college/university at the undergraduate/graduate level.
• Student must have at least a 2.5GPA (on a 4.0 scale)
• Student must have at least a junior class standing.
• Environmental Education, Environmental Conservation, Elementary Education, Science Education, Sustainability, Engineering, Ecology.
Strong writing skills; effective interpersonal skills; familiarity and/or experience with computers/software; leadership skills; self-motivation; and ability to work well with minimal supervision.
How to Apply: Interested candidates can apply online on DEP’s website or at http://www.nyc.gov/html/dep/html/job_opportunities/internships.shtml. To apply to this position, search the listings by the Job Title: College Intern or by the Job ID #: 1512. Interested applicants should include a cover letter and 300 words or longer writing sample.
This is an unpaid position.
CUNY VIRTUAL CHAT SESSIONS:
Be sure to join our Virtual chat sessions at CUNY School of Public Health Virtual Information Chat Session to obtain all the information you need on our program